Fresh from our test labs
Our brand-new TuneUp Utilities 2014 isn’t just a thorough cleaner, but it also boosts your PC’s performance considerably and saves battery life on laptops, tablets and Ultrabooks™ – thanks to our unique tools, such as Program Deactivator, Turbo Mode, and Economy Mode. In our internal labs, we’ve literally spent weeks running both performance and battery life tests on new PCs to determine the impact and used benchmark tools that are being used at professional IT publications and inside Microsoft (more on that below, see “Test Results in Detail: TuneUp Utilities 2014”).
Up to 90% Faster Boot Time!
PCs don’t just wear out or “get old”: They get slower because users tend to install (and uninstall!) lots of applications that in turn slow down your PC with startup entries, background services and additional processes. To put this effect to the test, we installed more than 150 applications on three Windows® 8 machines and observed the impact they had on the machine – then, we installed TuneUp Utilities 2014 and used all performance-related features to get the PC up to speed again (more on all the tests below). Click on the results on the right!
The results are impressive. Some examples: One of our bogged down PCs needed a minute, to fully boot-up; after being optimized by TuneUp Utilities, it only took about 8 seconds! File operations got also a speed boost of 12%.
Up to 48% More Battery Life!
Now that TuneUp Utilities 2014 doesn’t just sport one, but two, power-saving features, our internal test lab put these new features to the test: Economy Mode turns off power-hungry services and optimizes CPU usage for maximum battery life. Our all-new Flight Mode easily turns off power-hungry features like Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi® devices. See for yourselves: We tested the impact of Economy Mode and turning off Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi® on one tablet and an Ultrabook™. Click on the results on the right!
These test results are promising: Battery life on new mobile devices running (the already power-friendly) Windows 8® saw an improvement of between 5% and even 49% in some scenarios! Now imagine the effects on your older Windows XP® or Windows 7® machine.
Up to 8,5 GB of cleaned disk space on new PCs!
Data-clutter accumulates on every PC – old and new. After we installed 150+ applications on our Windows® tablets and Ultrabooks, we found a lot of unnecessary data. On the new mini-tablet Acer® Iconia W3 (with Windows® 8 installed), Disk Cleaner, Browser Cleaner, and Shortcut Cleaner were able to get rid of a whopping 8.5 GB – that’s significant considering the limited space on the 64 GB SSD! Click on the results on the right!
About our internal test lab
Our internal test lab spent weeks preparing and executing these benchmarks and will update this page with more results in the future. It is important to know that these results were performed on sample machines and do not necessarily represent all laptops on the market. However, we tested both low-powered and high-powered devices in order to give an accurate representation of these tests. To provide accurate test results, testers had to perform several steps and follow a specific flow. The tests were performed under highly controlled conditions:
- The tested devices resided in an environment that is compliant with ECMA-383:
- Temperature: 23 degrees Celsius.
- Relative humidity: 10 - 80 %.
- Ambient light: 250 +/- 50 lux.
- The Power Plan was set to “Balanced”
- All external devices were unplugged (e.g. keyboard, mouse, hard disks).
- Wireless radios were deliberately been enabled to recreate a typical user scenario
- Devices were prepared and tests were performed according to Microsoft Developer Central Hardware guidelines as well as the official Microsoft Performance Testing Guides for Windows.
- All machines have been used productively for 4 weeks
- Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll, ProcessIdleTasks command was used by internal testers to make Windows perform file placement optimization tasks.
- Windows Update was successfully run on all machines 24 hours prior to testing and the systems were restarted 5 times each. Windows Update was then disabled.
- The Windows Experience Index was calculated
- On Windows 8, the new “Automatic Maintenance” feature was first executed and then disabled
- The “SuperFetch” feature, which adapts to programs and Windows usage, was enabled and properly trained
- The Windows Search index was fully build.
- Scheduled Tasks have been temporarily turned off
- We ran each benchmark test three times and used the average in our result table.
- An image backup was produced in both the original (untouched) state of the machines as well as after the applications were installed.
Read our full test reports for TuneUp Utilities 2014 here!
Acer® is a registered trademark of Acer, Inc. Bluetooth® is a registered trademark owned by the Bluetooth® SIG. Windows®, Windows 7®, Windows 8®, are registered trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies in the United States and other countries. Wi-Fi® is a trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance.